The Legal Support program addresses the barriers that women, specifically those who are survivors of violence, face in accessing justice. The legal system often acts as a barrier to many women in the shelter as most are unaware of their legal rights or obligations. This often results in women not receiving proper child support, custody or protection from their abuser. The Legal Support program offers women access to sources of support and helps clients navigate through the legal systems. The program provides assistance to:
- determine legal needs
- provide legal information
- referrals to lawyers and community based agencies
- advocate with various social systems
- provide accompaniments to legal appointments and court appearances
- assist clients with forms such as legal aid applications, immigration applications, Humanitarian and Compassionate application, Child and Spousal support application.