Supporting Children and Youth
The Child and Youth Program is dedicated to supporting children and youth between the ages of zero to eighteen, including male youth up to 18 years old, pregnant women and mothers.
EWS believes that children have the right to be separate and distinct from their parents and as a result this program is designed to meet the children’s individual needs. The program is designed and facilitated with age appropriate activities to enhance development in the following areas:
- Healthy Emotional Expression
- Impact of Violence – creating a safe place for children to discuss and share their own experiences of violence
- Early Prevention – informing children of their rights and advocacy. The program provides individual and group counselling. We also provide support to mothers and children with:
- Registration for school and/or daycare
- External resources
We believe that children’s voices need to be heard.
Child and Youth Program
The program works with the children and youth at the shelter helping to overcome the trauma of witnessing or being abused. This is done through counselling, self expression, establishing routine, creativity, and unlearning unhealthy behaviours.
This program recognizes the impact of violence on children and youth and acknowledges that their rights are separate and distinct from those of their parents.
The child and youth program is designed to give clients a supportive environment where they can express themselves safely. The program’s activities include:
- Homework Clubs
- Reading Circles
- Arts and Crafts
- Self-Esteem Exercises
- Mother and Child Activities
- One-on-One time