"No one is more cherished in this world than someone who lightens the burden of another. Thank you." ~Author Unknown
You can email Khadija Kathy Ali, the Coordinator of Engagement and Volunteers at Khadija@ernestines.ca. Your email should include your resume, cover letter and full contact Information, as well as a list of areas you would like to work in.
If you have questions about volunteering as team of students, colleagues, family or friends please email the full details for your idea. Such as are you having a food, clothing or fundraising drive?; would you like to do activities onsite or off-site? Etc.
Ernestine’s accepts and encourages student placements for their full term. In your email ensure to state that it is a student placement, the school, program, length of time and are of focus you are seeking.
Ernestine’s onsite volunteers commit to a minimum period of time of six (6) months to one (1) year for the consistency and stability at the shelter especially in program areas. If a team of volunteers or students would like to do a drive or fundraiser in your schools or community and deliver the cheque or items to the shelter. We can make arrangement to meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
What happens after I apply?
1. The Volunteer Coordinator will respond if there are available positions onsite at the shelter and/or can help you develop your campaign idea.
2. The Volunteer Coordinator requests volunteers to submit their resume and cover letter stating the position and/or the area you are interested in working in. For example, Women’s Program, Child and Youth, Legal and Housing, Outreach and Transitional programming or the donations area (food and clothing bank).
3. Each elligable volunteer is interviewed in person by the Volunteer Coordinator. At the interview you will be asked to read and sign a confidentiality form.
4. Before volunteering session start:
- References are checked
- Police reference check is reviewed. If you do not have one for Toronto we recommend you do this in advance of applying because it could delay your start date. For information visit:www.torontopolice.on.ca/prcp/
5. Once accepted an orientation training will be scheduled.
6. Please note: Due to the volume of daily requests please note that you are not guaranteed a volunteer position because you applied.
Crisis 416.746.3701 / TTY 416.746.3716
of women with disabilities are likely to experience some form of violence in their adult lives.