At Ernestine’s, we’re proud to offer a robust and successful volunteer program. Our dedicated volunteers are incredibly generous with their skills and time, as they are passionate about supporting the women and children at Ernestine’s.
On a daily basis, we receive a large amount of inquiries about volunteering as an individual at Ernestine’s. However, we gladly continue to accept applications from prospective volunteers.
At Ernestine’s there are many opportunities and you are limited only by your interests! Examples of volunteer activities include: assisting with program support (crisis lines or child and youth program), sitting on committees, event support (Ernestine Affair), and donation assistants.
If you are interested in volunteering with Ernestine’s, please send an email to Khadija Kathy Ali at firstname.lastname@example.org, and include a resume, cover letter, contact details, and a description of your desired area of work.
Ernestine’s onsite volunteers commit to a minimum period of time of six (6) months to one (1) year for the consistency and stability at the shelter, especially in program areas.
Due to the volume of daily requests please note that you are not guaranteed a volunteer position because you applied.
What happens after you apply to volunteer at Ernestine’s?
- The Volunteer Coordinator will review submitted applications and respond if there are available positions onsite at the shelter and/or can help you develop your campaign idea.
- If Ernestine’s needs volunteers and the volunteer application has passed initial review, each eligible volunteer is interviewed in-person by the Volunteer Coordinator. At the interview you will be asked to read and sign a confidentiality form.
- Before volunteering sessions start:
– Personal and/or professional references are checked
– Police reference check is reviewed. If you do not have one for Toronto we recommend you do this in advance of applying because it could delay your start date. For information visit:www.torontopolice.on.ca/prcp/
- Once accepted an orientation training will be scheduled.