Signs of Abuse
Violence in a relationship can happen over time or in an instant. Does your relationship have any of these signs of abuse?
- Physical abuse, including slapping, hitting, punching, pushing, shoving, choking
- Striking with any kind of weapon/objects
- Physically harming children
- Sexual assault/rape
- Threatening children
- Disregard for welfare of children
- Physically harming family pets*
- Degradation and humiliation
- Isolation and confinement
- Emotional, psychological and verbal abuse
- Threatening language
- Escalating arguments
- Withdrawal of emotional or financial support
- Attempts to control or cut off friendships or family ties
- Increased hostility toward other friends or family
*61% of surveyed Ontario women who had left their abusive partner stated that their partners had brutalized or killed a pet. (OAPCA 1998)
If you have any of these signs of abuse in your relationship call us 416-746-3701, TTY 416-746-3716. We can help.
Crisis 416.746.3701 / TTY 416.746.3716
of Canadian women have been victims of at least one act of physical or sexual violence since the age of 16.
Find out about what Ernestine’s does for kids Read More »
Lend a Helping Hand
Check out Ernestine's Linking Boomers Program Read More »