Signs of Abuse
Violence in a relationship can happen over time or in an instant. Does your relationship have any of these signs of abuse?
- Physical abuse, including slapping, hitting, punching, pushing, shoving, choking
- Striking with any kind of weapon/objects
- Physically harming children
- Sexual assault/rape
- Threatening children
- Disregard for welfare of children
- Physically harming family pets*
- Degradation and humiliation
- Isolation and confinement
- Emotional, psychological and verbal abuse
- Threatening language
- Escalating arguments
- Withdrawal of emotional or financial support
- Attempts to control or cut off friendships or family ties
- Increased hostility toward other friends or family
*61% of surveyed Ontario women who had left their abusive partner stated that their partners had brutalized or killed a pet. (OAPCA 1998)
If you have any of these signs of abuse in your relationship call us 416-746-3701, TTY 416-746-3716. We can help.
Crisis 416.746.3701 / TTY 416.746.3716
women on average, are murdered by a current or former partner each year in Canada.
Find out about what Ernestine’s does for kids Read More »
Lend a Helping Hand
Check out Ernestine's Linking Boomers Program Read More »